Sunday, July 27, 2014

Answer Me This: Baked Chicken, and Don't Be Offended if I Don't Hug You, Please.

Joining Kendra for the virtual cocktail party, since that is the only kind I can attend without feeling like everyone will judge me for even sipping a cocktail.

1. What’s your favorite thing on YouTube?

YouTube can be fun, addicting, and downright frustrating.  I only feel that I can put YouTube on my computer or cell phone things that my kids can watch.  Now, I don't put those people that play video games and take a video of themselves, which my kids could watch all day, but I do enjoy the Bored Shorts TV.  The kid history was the first one I was introduced to and the kids giggled the whole time.




2. Who taught you to drive?

There are 7 children in my family.  I am number 6.  By the time it was my turn to learn, my mom (a very nervous Nellie) washed her hands of that position and did not try to help me.  To be honest, I don't remember EVER driving with my mom or dad in the car while I was learning.  I drove with the driving instructor just a few times, and was so nervous.  I was the only one at home and I needed to be able to get around so it was kind of a necessity.  My sister took me out a few times, if I recall correctly. 

So, now that I think about it, did anyone really teach me to drive??  Maybe my husband's been right all these years.  Huh.

3. What’s your favorite thing to cook?

This is hard for me to answer.  I am happy to cook, but what I enjoy eating and what I like to cook are a little different.  I think I get more satisfaction when I cook dinner.  Appetizers are a little more frustrating because it seems like lots more cutting and preparation.

The easiest meal of all is one that brings me back to childhood days when my mom would cook is a chicken meal.  Whole chicken.  The chicken gets a super generous sprinkling of Lawry's seasoned salt and wrapped in aluminum foil.  Put it the oven for about 1 1/2-2 hours and it comes out moist and yummy, with lots of gravy (or au jus, I think they call it).  Serve with some rice and it's so yummy. 

 
4. Are you a hugger or a non-hugger? Why?

I dreaded this question most of all.  I am not exactly sure when I stopped being a hugger, but perhaps it had to do with all the strangers and people who are not family wanting to hug, and the face that I get very self-conscious and nervous when it's time to hug.  All events seem to have hugs involved, and I start to get nervous when it's time to leave.  I am a bit embarrassed to admit this, but some days I find myself creeping away so I don't have even think about the possibility of the hugs. 

As a mom of young kids, I feel like this is the most awful thing I can admit.  I like to think that it's different with my kids, but maybe you should be a fly on the wall to help me decide.

5. Where do you pray best?

In the chapel, without my kids.  In moments of gratitude, as I am moving and doing.  I am not sure where it is I pray best, as I don't think I do it very well at all.

6. When is the last time you saw/spoke to your grandparents?

All of my grandparents are deceased, and some of them I never knew at all.  I am not a good one with dates, though I can place their deaths with some events in my life, so I am not sure of the last time I was able to be with them.

My Mom's mom was married 3 times.  I never met the first 2, and was present for the 3rd wedding.  She was a Louisiana lady and kept her little accents in certain words that she said. She was local for most of my life, and in my homeschool days we would visit her almost every day - meet at daily Mass, go to breakfast or just visit at her home.  She met my 2 oldest children and one of my favorite memories was to bring them to see her.  I have been missing her lately, so this question comes at a poignant time.

My Dad's parents lived in Texas, and, like my other grandma, I didn't really know my Grandfather.  They were both New Yorkers (I think) in their growing up, so the things I remember about them were the loud voices.  She called my Dad "Bobby" with a big New York accent, which was so cute to me.  I was a newlywed when she died and remember going to the funeral with Tommy.


*Sorry, dear patient readers.  I had no idea that this week was going to get so serious.  On a much lighter note, Tommy and Patrick made it back from camping all in one piece, and no crazy things happened at home!  James has been attached to Tommy at every  opportunity.  He cannot get enough hugs, snuggles or rides with Daddy in his car to fill him up.  It is absolutely adorable.  I don't know what he will do when he realizes that Tommy has to go to work in the morning!*

No comments: