Tuesday, August 4, 2009

I must have given him "the look"

The doorbell rang, and I was in the middle of something, so I wasn't too keen on answering it, knowing that it wasn't UPS or FedEx ("mommy got a PACK-age, mommy got a PACK-age" is the chant when they come). Emma and Patrick were playing, and they know the rules: don't answer the phone or door unless you have Mommy's permission. Nonetheless, they get excited when the bell rings, and go running to see. Patrick ran to the window and announced "we don't know him!" Emma clumped over the kitchen floor in her dress-up shoes to the door, and as I am looking through the peephole (installed nice and low just for me!), she unlocks the front door! So, even if I was going to ignore the doorbell, I can't now. She just gave my position away to the enemy. Rats. At the door is a snaggle-tooth teenager, who says hesitatingly to me:

"Hi. I've been talking to the neighbors. You gonna beat me up?"

Turns out he was "collecting money to send a group of them to Cabo, Paris" or some other place. Asking me for a donation. After starting the conversation like that. I admit, I did give him a look and asked "why" and he claimed he was just teasing. Needless to say, I did NOT give him any donations. Still scratching my head about that one.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Just another reason you need a firearm in the house. When I answer the door in little to no clothing holding my AR15 or AK47 the solicitors and "missionaries" tend to just leave. This even works when I say I am not busy and have plenty of time to talk. Funny huh. Another reason to love the 2nd Amendment.
-Wilson