Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Camp Snyder

My first "camping" experience came about this year. Tommy's best man duties took him to a bachelor party for his brother, so the pack graduation duties fell to me this year.  I decided to leave James home with my parents (how nice is that!) and bring the older 3.  I decided to help myself even more and I paid a rising 7th grader to stick to William.  I had a WONDERFUL time with the kids, and was able to enjoy the time with the other moms, as well as the pack graduation.
First event was the Raingutter Regatta.  The kids did a great job "pushing" their boats, and Emma's race with her friend was the closest I saw all day.  It was just for fun, and the kids had a blast.
Don't you just love her outfit?  So Emma.  :)
Tug-of-war with all the different kids and levels of cub scouts.

William loved being with his friend, and I was soo grateful that she enjoyed it too!
The boys (round about William's age) all decided that the ground up gravel around the picnic benches was THE place to be.  Not only was it the place to be, but it was the thing to wear.  I don't know if you can tell by this photo of William, but he was F.I.L.T.H.Y.  He tried to bury himself in this, and it was all down his shorts. 
Can you see the other boys?  Yeah.  William almost looks tame next to them.  LOL
Our worthy cubmaster, and some of our hard-working leaders.
Graduation ceremony was so neat.  They have the older level scouts change the neckerchiefs on the younger boys.  I was so impressed with how seriously the boys took the steps, and how well they did.
We have the wrong hat, but that Weblo (long "e" and "o") scarf gets me all emotional.  4th grade!

Doesn't he look so handsome?
He helped his friend with his bear neckerchief. 
Unfortunately, we didn't stay for the S'mores or the campfire, as I forgot a flashlight, chairs, and anything a more practical scouting dad would have brought, so the kids were a bit disappointed.  The good news is that he has 2 more camping trips (overnight trips) and will have his fill. 
What I really enjoyed that day (though I was so nervous about going, and panicked a bit if the truth be told) was seeing, or not seeing, Patrick having so much fun.  He was off in boy world with sticks and scavenger hunts and just having a great time.  I can't say that I will be the first to volunteer to go by myself again next year, but I hope I will be able to go next year. (last year, I had a newborn and was post-c-section.) 

1 comment:

Carole in Wales said...

I loved the scouting days! The boys become more independent throughout the Webelos years. Then they bridge to Boy Scouts. That when they start to run the show. What an adventure awaits your family!