Wednesday, June 29, 2011

James' Birth Day Story

Thursday was to be the big day, but I don't think it was real to me. It felt really far away still when we went to Mass on Sunday. Everyone was very nice but they all had the same questions about how soon? and even though I would say "4 days" it still didn't sink in. I think I kind of knew that I wouldn't go then.

5AM on Tuesday Tommy's alarm clock went off. I usually only half hear it, but a pop woke me up. A trip to the bathroom confirmed that my water broke. I told Tommy "We are having a baby today!" and he said "okay" and sent an email to his boss. He was so calm about it, as was I, which was kind of weird. I can't believe how perfectly God timed my water breaking. Tommy didn't have to come home from work (an hour or more away!) AND my mother is always up at the crack of dawn or before, so when I called her after reaching the doctor, she was up and ready to come over. I even had time to shower, because the doctor told us to come in about 2 hours. I did have to pack my bag a bit more (I actually overpacked LOL). It was fun to tell the kids, especially Patrick. His first response was "it's not the 16th!" They were really excited, and I am sure they must have told people at school.

When we got to the hospital, Tommy dropped me off at the door while he went to park. As I am walking through the doors, a lady behind me wants to know if I am having the baby right now. Of course I responded yes, and she shifts into high gear: she's a nurse there and she is trying to get me into a wheelchair and giving orders to the people at the desk. I had to slow her down and tell her that I was coming for a c-section and all was okay, but she made sure to send someone into the restroom while I was in there to be sure I was okay. LOL I was pretty amazed when we got upstairs because we were prepped and brought to the OR within 20 minutes. I think we snuck in before the scheduled sections for the day. Another blessing? I spoke to one of the doctors from the OB office on the phone, and was a bit disappointed because this one is not my favorite. But when we got there? The doctor who was so sweet when I was in with all my kidney problems was the delivering doctor!

I have to admit that once I got to the prep/recovery room, my nerves were on edge. (well, they were going in the car too, because I fussed at poor Tommy on the drive to the hospital, including telling him which way to go) The nurse brought in the scrubs for Tommy, and the giggles to laughter to crying began. Can you see how tight that is across his chest? He couldn't sit down in the outfit they gave him! He could barely get the shoe coverings on his size 15s. The nurses told him to sit, I mean stand over here while I was getting my spinal. The last time he stood to watch the c-section because he wanted to see. This time he didn't have a choice! LOL It was such a relief to hear my little one come out crying that I was crying as hard as he was. It was so neat to look over at the warmer and see a familiar face. He looks so much like the other kids, and I was so happy that he was finally out. I loved it when the nurse put his little warm face up to mine, because I could hear him making these little noises, and he was so soft.
It was a great day, and we are happy to be home with all the kids.

No comments: