Friday, October 30, 2009

Life with a Toddler

William's 2 favorite things to do right now are raid the dishwasher for the big wooden spoons, and throw everything in the trash can. I took the trash bags to the street one morning and the kids were freaking out because they could see one of our board books at the bottom of the bag. I realized then that I need to be more vigilant with him. It's really cute to see him throw trash in there, but when it's toys, spoons, bowls, and anything else he has in his hand, I have to be checking. There is a top on there, but he is juuust the right height to get into it. Maybe it's time for a different kind?

I think I have detirmined that not only is he more curious and gets into more things, there is MORE for him to get into. We have more toys, games, and stuff that he can explore and get involved in and the big kids don't always put their things away, so I have to be on top of things (which I am not). I'm sure that book won't be the last thing thrown away.

I don't remember any of my other kids being as snuggly as William is, though I remember they were all sweet babies. He will be walking around and playing, but will stop and walk over to me with his arms up. I will pick him up and he will put his head on my shoulder, give me a hug and pat my back. Just melts my heart every time. He will even do that with the big kids, and in the mornings those hugs are almost squeezes!

William is also my biggest noise maker. He talks and talks, and yells, and tries so hard to keep up with all the other noises and conversations in the house. He will even fuss at me when I make him upset, and it sounds a lot like somebody else in the house. Not me, of course. Unfortunately, he makes the most noise at Church. We have spent more Masses in the back of Church than inside. It's terrible. No other kid was this naughty. He lasts until about the second reading, and he's done. Toys are projectiles, books are the same. It's dangerous to sit in front of us at Church!

I love this age, but I am happy to know that the next stage will be just as fun, with it's own challenges.

Speaking of challenges, in the reflux/spit up department we had an Upper GI for William, which he passed with flying colors (I'm told that I should be glad there is no surgical problem). The next stop is an allergist to see about milk, which I have tried to eliminate from his diet. I have been giving him soy formula/milk, and have figured the right amount of liquids to give him so he can keep it down, so we have had significantly less spit up. Hooray for baby steps!

No comments: