Sunday, September 6, 2009

Happy Birthday, Mom!

My mother is the most amazing woman. Not just because she had 7 kids, homeschooled all of us, put us through Catholic school, sings beautifully, married all of us off, has been married 44 years (I think that's the right number), and babysits her (MANY) grandchildren. No, not just for all those reasons.
My mother has set the most amazing example for me to attempt to follow. She is always the first person to change the tone of the conversation when it is getting negative, and always say a kind word about everyone. With every task she performs, she will do it to the best of her ability, and will not be happy unless it's perfect: the parts you can see, and the parts you can't. All the Baptismal gowns were sewn by her, and we knew that each one was filled with love, and would be extra soft and beautiful inside and out. She can give you a look or a smile that says so many more things than a lecture, letter, or even a book can say. Her devotion to her family, her faith and her love of learning has always impressed me. Her laughter is contagious, and I love that she encourages me to laugh at myself and not be so serious.
My children absolutely love her to pieces for her warmth, her patience, and her calmness. I have so many pictures of Mom holding a sleeping baby because they know they are in good hands, and can relax. The kids know that they will get an extra hug, an sweet word or a lovely tune just for them. She is always bringing the children to Jesus, and helping them to love him in such kind and gentle ways as only she can.

My mother never wants us to buy her anything for her birthday, and each year it is harder to give her any kind of material gifts. Her favorites? Prayers. Can I ask you to join me? I would love to be able to tell her that you all said an extra prayer for her on her day.
I love you, Mom! Happy Birthday!

4 comments:

Amy said...

Happy birthday Fuzzy's mom! :)

Saying prayers for you and your whole family.

Unknown said...

A gift your Mom can always use are HUGS. AHHHH
-Wilson

KC said...

Happy Birthday to your mom!!!

Prayers for you all.

Maryan said...

I love your Mom!!! Happy Belated Birthday Mrs. G!!