Saturday, June 6, 2009

Queen of the Universe


I like to have reminders. I NEED reminders. I need reminders to shop for groceries, pay bills, do household chores, etc. I especially need reminders of God's love. I need reminders to thank him, and pray more. The moon is one of my reminders.

Growing up, I always heard about the "man in the moon" and to be honest, I could NEVER see it. I would try and try, but I just didn't see it. Still can't. But I never asked anyone about it. I guess I felt kind of silly. I enjoyed looking at it, loved the brightness it gave to the nighttime, and all the different phases, but still never could see THE face. There was one day when I was a teenager (maybe 13-14) that I had the opportunity to spend the day with one of our parish priests and some school children. We finished and were outside admiring the moon, and Father said something that has stayed with me to this day.

"If you look at the moon and tilt your head to the right, it looks like the outline of Our Lady, holding Jesus."

Of course! I could totally see that! It was perfect, and made so much sense. Something so beautiful could be made into a simple prayer. I loved it!

As I was driving home tonight, admiring the moon and it's beauty, and I tried to see "the face" again, and I just couldn't. I much prefer seeing Our Lady, and thinking of her as MY mother. It's a small thing, but knowing that Mary went through so much of what I go through as a mom comforts me. Granted, she was the Mother of God, who is perfect, but the teaching, the love, the cooking and cleaning; she did it all. Such a beautiful example!

I am so glad Father Riley pointed out the moon to me that night. I needed that reminder.
Can anyone else see it?

1 comment:

Amy said...

I think I see it!

Fuzzy, I love your blog, I'm so glad Jennifer told us about it. :)