Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The Kitchen Prayer

For as long as I can remember, my mom had a special prayer above her sink. I always noticed it, but never really thought too much about the prayer until I was married and had my own kitchen to take care of. As I tried to keep up with everything, I wished I had this prayer in my own kitchen. I would try to remember it, but never could get past the first line. (what does that tell you about how often I used to do dishes? Don't answer that!) My sister Jennifer found this at our parish's white elephant sale, and I was thrilled when she shared it with me! The plaque is now above my sink, and though the picture is different than my mom's, I love that she could be praying this at the same time..


Kitchen Prayer


Lord of all pots and pans and things, since I've not time to be
A saint by doing lovely things or watching late with Thee
Or dreaming in the dawn light or storming Heaven's gates
Make me a saint by getting meals and washing up up the plates.

Although I must have Martha's hands, I have a Mary mind
And when I black the boots and shoes Thy sandals, Lord, I find.
I think of how they trod the earth, what time I scrub the floor
Accept this meditation, Lord, I haven't time for more.

Warm all the kitchen with Thy love, and light it with Thy peace
Forgive me all my worrying and make my grumbling cease.
Thou who didst love to give men food, in room or by the sea
Accept this service that I do, I do it unto Thee.

--Klara Munkres
Now, if only there was a prayer to put around the commode to encourage me while I am cleaning...

No comments: