Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Tires, Minivans, and Wind

Virginia has had some crazy weather this year.  Little to no snow in the winter, snow in mid to late March, and some odd days off for cold, threat of snow, and high winds.  Crazy weather.  But.  A gift nonetheless.
 
 
I came out to this on a Thursday morning.  We are no strangers to car troubles, which used to always happen as we were trying to leave for school, and we are so grateful that we have family nearby to help!  My van, the tires, the transmission - all on it's last leg, and now this.  It is done.  Not only was the tire done, the spare was too.  So, we decided it was time.  We knew it was coming, we just weren't sure when.  And when the government and schools closed the next day, we knew it was time. 
 
 
We said Goodbye to our van with over 160K miles, the van that brought home 4 of my kids as babies and got us where we needed to be, many times.

 
But, we traded it in for a new to us van.  Lucy says it is "dark buhlue" and we all fit.  Comfortably.  And the perks are just amazing.  Saint Anthony really helped us to find what we needed that day.

 
(As I write this, I am realizing I don't have a ta-daa photo of the van alone)

 
We did get it blessed!  Father Noah paid special attention to the engine.
And of course, we all got a treat!

 
As I told my sisters, I am like the cool kids now.  A Honda.  :)
 
But.  In true fashion, we have had an adventure.  The new van has automatic doors and so many safety features that we are trying to figure out and some that are so safe they are annoying.  (The kids call it R2D2 with all the beeps it says)  I used to leave the keys in my old van as it was always in the garage.  It was easier, and they weren't in the ignition.  But, I did this just one time accidently in the new van.  And Lucy got into the garage, and into the van.  And OH!  It's a toddler's paradise!  Buttons!  Doors!  Open!  Close!  Oh yes.  She did.  She locked herself in my van with my keys.  And the lock buttons are too tough for her.  And. as I am trying to get her out, she sets off the car alarm. 
Horn.  Blaring.  In the garage.  Oh oh oh my ears!  I admit.  I did some freaking out.  And maybe even a curse word or 2.  But, I am grateful my keys were there, as I yelled at her to push the buttons (between honks) on the key fob and she was able to turn off the alarm and unlock it!  Whew.  It was awful.  My ears were ringing for days!  And, lest you worry, I don't leave my keys in there anymore.  And yes, there IS a child safety handle on the garage door.  Oy.

No comments: