Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Walking with Purpose

"Whatever you do, do from the heart, as for the Lord and not for others."
                                                                                   
                                                                                          ~ Colossians 3:23

I have to make a confession.  I am not good about reading the Bible.  I love that you will hear the whole Bible on a 3 year cycle at Mass, but I have not been able to get to Mass on a regular enough basis to hear all of it since I was a child.  And I have not made the time to actually sit and read it.  It doesn't read like a book and it takes a lot to focus for me, lately. It is very humbling to admit this, and I wish I was better.   

But I have taken the plunge and joined a Bible study at a nearby parish. I decided at the start of the new year that I needed some help getting my prayer life in order, and I knew this group had begun in the fall, so I was a bit late.  But determined.  I found the "Walking With Purpose" Bible study for women.  And I LOVE it.  I love that it takes a beautiful perspective, sending you to some Bible verses, and it includes the teaching from the Catechism of the Catholic Church.  I have found so many things to hold in my heart and help me in my struggles (though some days the struggle is to actually get to the study, but I know that even without attending the group study, I am getting so much with the short "lessons" during the week). It is a great group of encouraging women and prayerful atmosphere, so as long as Lucy will go to the nursery and let me pray, I appreciate the time. 

I am not the most self-motivated person when it comes to things (just look around my house, or at my round mid-section), so knowing that about myself should tell me that I need to find outside encouragement.  This has done that very well.  (Though the introvert side of me screams when I need to talk.)

Next step is to find some good books for Lenten reading.  Any suggestions?  I am not great when they are heavy.  Or for smart people.

No comments: