Monday, September 6, 2010

The second week of school is coming up. Full days for Emma, and lunches times 2 to pack, as well as homework for the upcoming weeks. I wanted to put down some thoughts from the first week before I forgot.

  • Emma is defintely enjoying her days. She comes home exhausted and happy, and ready to tell me all about who got in trouble, and how many snacks the girl across the table had.
  • Patrick is not always as willing to talk about school. There was a day when he got in the car, and after a few probing questions about his day expressed to me that "he would rather talk to me later about school." I did appreciate his honesty, but was a bit disappointed.
  • These kids look so cute in their uniforms. I am so full of pride when they come down the stairs fully dressed for the day.

  • Did I mention how early the kids have been getting up? I think it's the excitement, but we have had at least one child up, and I mean UP up for the day at 5:30 AM. Seriously. I am not ready to be up that early.

  • I think it's so great that when I drop the kids off I school, they will say their goodbyes and walk to school. No looking back or hesitation. Yay! That helped me so much, especially on the first day.
  • William has been really lonely without the kids. He is so cute when we talk about them and when we have to get in the car to get them, but he really misses them. I know it's been hard and I think we are going to have to have some playdates set up, so it gets easier.
  • I cried. I admit it. I did cry the first week. I think it was the 2nd or 3rd day of school and my Dad called to see how they were doing. He wanted to be sure they knew that he was proud of them and while he was talking to me, I started to cry. More came when Emma brought home the "kissing hand" story for me: the little boy's mother kisses his hand before he leaves and all day he puts the hand to his cheek when he is missing his mother. Emma brought home one for me, and I was to do one for her cubby at school. That's when I lost it. I kept telling myself that I was going to be okay, but I didn't succeed.
  • I love hearing the kids tell others about their day. Each story is different and I wish I could be a fly on the wall for their days. I hope to volunteer at school, maybe lunchroom duty, and bring William so we can see them.

Here's to a great second week!

No comments: