Thursday, October 22, 2009

Books (or should I say "B_oks"?)

You ever have a really good book that used to read a lot when you were younger? I have a few like that, and one of them is Jane Eyre, which was a paperback book at our home that was falling apart it was read so many times. I could sit and read that in one day, like many other books, but that was one of my all time favorites. On my shelf is a lovely hardback copy that has Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre, and I thought it was time to get back into reading. I finished Wuthering Heights (which I had never read), and settled in to read my familiar and favorite. First page says something about "adapted by..." Darn. Seriously? I bought an abridged copy of my favorite??? I start reading, hoping I am wrong. Nope. Doggone it! I check the other one. Oh no. The OTHER one is too! That drives me crazy. I'm sure I missed some really good parts in the other book, and WHY would you abridge a good book like that??

I think I need to go to more book sales. (ack. I can't believe I actually said that!) Well, I need to go to more sales with my sister Jennifer (or I should just go to her library and borrow what I want). I don't think I know how to buy the right kind of books, and if I had bought it with her, I would have saved myself some heartache. Sigh. Even though I know it's only part of my favorite, I am still reading it. Skeptically.

No comments: