Saturday, August 22, 2009

"You have to put your thumb here, and push here, and pull here...."

We are a 2 car family. I drive a mini-van, and my dear, patient, tall husband squeezes into my little Corolla that I purchased juust before we started dating (11 years ago). His knees are on the dashboard when he drives this thing. The kicker? It's a stick. With his new job, he is driving this car much more, and sitting in traffic to and from work. Sweet man. I know how hard that must be, but he never complains. Since 3 carseats won't fit in that car, I don't get to drive it very much, unless I am going out by myself.

Today, I got the chance to drive my little car. But before I could go out and enjoy my time alone, Tommy says I need a lesson. A lesson in opening the door. Why? I ask. He broke the door handle. The one inside the car. Great. I am all dressed up to go to a wedding, and I am picturing myself very gracefully climbing over the passenger seat and getting out that door. Lovely. I started to worry, and fret, as I am prone to do. But Tommy? He is making jokes, and just thinking how funny this is. He's ready to jerry-rig some rope so he can just pull on it to open the door. He is laughing at how silly it is. He USED to drive a truck that he HAD to climb out the passenger side, and we used to giggle every time he did. His laugh is so contagious, and he is so good about finding humor in everything. I love that about him, and I love that he is the opposite of me, and can make things better for fretful me. I don't know how long he will drive the car with it like that, but he doesn't mind, and it gives the car character. What a sweet man. I hope our kids get his sense of humor.

Oh, and the car? Well, let's just say it took me a little bit longer than normal to get out. No, wasn't late for the wedding, but I don't think I had a good enough lesson.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Tommy and I were getting out his car one night and this kid shouts out of his car window to Tommy "YOU drive a Corolla?". Without missing a beat Tommy yells back "Yeah, and my other car is a Mini-van". There is really only one problem with Tommy driving the Toyota and that is it is really hard to make right turns.
-Wilson

Unknown said...

Tommy is so right that these little problems add character. My 1996 Civic, Maxine, has alot of character such as: only high beam headlights work, rear defroster only works on bottom half of window, dome light does not come on when doors are open, no instrumentation lighting, right stereo speaker buzzes, windshield washers don't work, will start with any key and keys can be removed from ingnition after starting, thermostat always reads cold, check engine light constantly on, odometer sometimes works (reads 206,000 prob more like 230,000, and the horn does not work. But at least I don't run the risk of locking myself inside the car. What can I say I like my cars like my women high mileage and low maintenance.
-Wilson