Thursday, July 16, 2009

Happy (belated) Birthday, America!

(As our holiday weekend was so busy with the family, I missed posting this.)

I am usually a day late and a dollar short when it comes to special days/celebrations. But for once, I am in the right mode for Independence day this year. No, not just for fireworks and a cookout, but for the real meaning of the freedom of our country, and why this day is so important to us and our children.

Tommy came home the other night with an HBO series, John Adams. He said our history buff friend had recommended it, and wanted to check it out. I was hesitant at first, not knowing how well I would like the main charactor, but I am really enjoying it. Now, granted, it is HBO so they throw in a bedroom scene (quite long, I might add), but other than that it has been enjoyable. We aren't quite finished yet, we just got to when he becomes President. I am NOT a history person, by any means, so I am asking questions during it (thank you, Tommy, for being so patient!), and I couldn't really tell you if they took a lot of liberties, or how well they did it. As I watched the scenes leading up to the Declaration of Independence, I couldn't help but think of the movie 1776. That movie is a musical (tried to watch that with the kids, but they do cuss quite a lot) and so enjoyable. I remember watching that growing up, but I never enjoyed as much as I do now. In BOTH of these movies, as I see the men sign the Declaration, I am so emotional (ok, yes, I'm crying). I am so proud of our forefathers and so proud to be in America.

The kids were very aware of this past election, and aware that we are not the biggest fans of the new president, but I do remind the kids that the must pray for our president and elected officials, as well as the military. We have to continue our prayers, and continue to thank our military for working so hard for our freedom.

No comments: